Importance of Forklift Preventive Maintenance
Forklifts are very useful machines and are essential equipment in every warehouse or storage facility. It is also a large investment. To protect this investment, regular preventive maintenance must be done. Certain parts and components of a forklift are prone to wear and tear due to constant use. Regular maintenance can help you ensure the optimal performance and operation of the equipment.
One of the most important parts of a forklift is the forks. This part transports the materials efficiently. Thus, the forks should always be in good shape. Another essential component of a forklift is the brakes. Brakes work in a similar way to the brakes of a car like brake drums and brake shoes. These parts need inspection and attention when doing forklift maintenance. Brakes play a significant role in the performance of a forklift.
Here are some reasons why forklifts require preventive maintenance to ensure a smooth running business.
Forklifts help to ensure safe warehouse operations.
Gone are the days when heavy objects are lifted and moved around with the use of cables, ropes, and pulleys – thanks to the invention of forklifts. The workers today won’t have to worry so much about their safety since forklifts were introduced. Now, heavy objects can easily be picked up and moved to the desired location with ease and efficiency.
Forklifts are easy machines to maneuver.
When it comes maneuverability, forklifts are very easy to drive. They are relatively compact and can fit in small areas. Forklifts are also easy to maneuver in different directions. Carrying or transporting heavy loads to any place in the facility is a lot easier with forklifts.
Forklifts make warehouse operations more efficient.
When forklifts are not properly maintained or broken, your production efficiency is directly affected. Forklifts enable you to move goods around easily and move products to locations that can’t be reached by hand. With properly working forklifts, you are reducing the time required to move the goods around the facility. And reduced time means higher efficiency and productivity.
Because you want to increase the longevity of this machinery, you should know how to maintain them and keep them in good shape. Ensure the proper attention and care is given so that you can get the most value out of it. Here are few tips on how to keep your forklift properly maintained.
- Change your oil regularly. Just like any vehicle, you should also change the oil in your forklift regularly. To increase fuel efficiency and avoid combustion problems, be sure to change the oil at least once every three months. This will also help maximize its performance.
- Check the tires. To reduce the risk of potential damage to forklifts, check the tire pressure all the time. Tires should not be underinflated or overinflated. Check your tire pressure and overall condition of the tire at least once a week.
- Check the fluid levels. Checking the fluid levels is another crucial step that shouldn’t be overlooked. This includes fuel, hydraulics, and antifreeze. Maintaining proper fluid levels will help ensure that the forklift does not overheat or freeze. Check the reservoir and under the machine to make sure there are no leaks.
- Don’t forget to lubricate. Forklifts also need oil or grease in their moving components. This will make it move with ease and prevent any friction that may result in harmful effects. If you hear squeaks or grinding, something probably needs to be lubricated.
- Check your brakes. Check your brakes frequently so that you can identify issues that need to be addressed immediately. Be sure to hire a forklift mechanic if you find any issues with your brakes or other parts.
Forklifts are a crucial piece of machinery in any warehouse facility. Making sure that all equipment is well taken care of and properly maintained, will extend the life of your forklift. To maximize a forklift’s operations, preventive maintenance should be a priority.